The house was built in 1784 by Francis Ryan for Valentine Brown, the Earl of Kenmare, who used it as his townhouse. The plasterwork here was done by Michael Stapleton, one of the finest stuccadores of the time. The house was given special mention by Constantine Curran in his book Dublin Decorative Plasterwork of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries, and the photographs he took were essential to the restoration of the house. Curran was also a close friend of Joyce’s. It is located at 35 North Great George’s Street, Dublin.